Frosty’s Corner is a historical salute for many of the long-standing residents of Chesterfield County. County citizens continue to use this intersection (Iron Bridge...

Frosty’s Corner is a historical salute for many of the long-standing residents of Chesterfield County. County citizens continue to use this intersection (Iron Bridge Road and Cogbill Road) as a landmark for directions.

The name “Frosty’s Corner” came from life-long resident Roy Dean “Frosty” Smith. He was born in 1906 and died at the age of 72. He was married to Helen Armstrong Smith, originally from North Carolina. Frosty and Helen had two daughters, Joyce Smith Quaiff and Shirley. Joyce continues to make her home in Chesterfield, but Shirley died approximately 20 years ago.

According to Joyce Smith Quaiff, the Smith family at one time owned all of the land from Jessup Road to Chippenham Parkway. They were farmers, so having this much land in those days was not out of the ordinary.

In the early 1930s, Frosty was hired to be the manager of a small grocery store (where the tire business – white building – is now; this is not the original building). The grocery, called Bowles Grocery Store, was owned by Oscar Bowles. Frosty and his family lived behind the store in an attached apartment.

In 1934, Frosty was approached by Edward Justice to manage a grocery store catty-corner from the Bowles Store. Mr. Justice had just purchased the tract of land, on which he built a log cabin grocery store and two homes. Frosty and his family lived in one home, and his parents lived in the adjacent one. Frosty and his family members managed the store for Mr. Justice until about 1950.

Not only did Frosty take on the responsibility of making sure the log cabin store was appropriately managed each day, but he also continued his long-time profession as a carpenter, spending many years working at Camp Lee (presently Fort Lee).

At one time, public transportation provided by the City of Richmond had a bus stop at Frosty’s Corner.

Even as recently as 2009, Chesterfield County residents have continued to acknowledge Frosty’s Corner as a significant landmark, as noted in the obituary of Artie Swanson Walker, recognizing his former ownership of Frosty’s Corner. Reference was also made to Frosty’s Corner in a 2010 article about the fire station near the intersection.

Frosty had one brother, Carol Otis Smith (deceased), who lived off of Hopkins Road where Walgreen’s is presently located.  He had two daughters, both of whom are deceased: Gloria Smith Davis and Lena Smith Moore.

If you have any questions about Frosty’s Corner, please contact Larry and Kay Robertson, the originators of this research, at either 804-748-0950 or 804-287-6364.