CHESTERFIELD – Chesterfield County intends to apply for funds allocated for the Transportation Alternatives Program to improve or add to projects involving actual road building.
The county is preparing projects eligible for funding through the program including:
- On-road and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities
- Safe routes for non-drivers (children, older adults, and individuals with disabilities) to access daily needs
- Conversion of abandoned railway corridors to bike and/or pedestrian trails
- Construction of turnouts, overlooks, and viewing areas
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation of historic transportation facilities
- Inventory/control/removal of outdoor advertising
- Vegetation management to improve safety, prevent against invasive species, and provide erosion control
- Archaeological activities relating to impacts from implementation of an eligible transportation project
- Environmental mitigation to address stormwater management and water pollution prevention due to road construction or runoff
- Wildlife mortality mitigation
Citizens who would like to comment on the county proposed Transportation Alternatives Program are encouraged to send their comments in writing to the Transportation Department, Chesterfield County, P.O. Box 40, Chesterfield, VA 23832, Attn: Jesse Smith, or call 748-1037.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing at its regular meeting on Sept. 28, at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room at the county complex.