The Perdue-Thompson house
The landscape on West Hundred Road changed 18 years ago when Thomas Dale High School began an extensive renovation and expansion. With the expansion of the school’s footprint, a neighboring property with a house was purchased. The house, known as the Perdue-Thompson House, sat off the road behind Curtis Elementary School and was owned by Robert Johnson. He dismantled the home and moved it to another location.
During the dismantling, a brick was found embedded in the chimney, one that provided the date of the house1815, along with the initials FWD. William and James Perdue acquired 550 acres in 1841, which included the house and a plantation house known as Warfield. The brothers split the property in 1869. W. H. Thompson bought the house with 90 acres in 1905 and raised dairy cattle for several decades. Johnson acquired the property in the early 1960s and lived there until 1998. The photo, taken Dec. 10, 1998, shows the house in the process of being dismantled.