Pictured above is the home place of Chester’s first doctor and his wife, Dr. Alvin Judson Hurt and Maud McLaurine Hurt. Their home sat on the corner of Harrowgate and Old Hundred roads. When the Hurts came to Chester in 1904, they took up residence at the Chester Hotel. Dr. Hurt liked Chester because it was country and he liked to fox hunt. Mrs. Hurt saw Chester as a poor community with no cultural advantages. Dr. Hurt had office hours in the morning and visited his patients in the afternoon.
Dr. and Mrs. Hurt were both instrumental in the establishment of Chester High School. Mrs. Hurt was instrumental in establishing the first Chester Public Library, a charter member of Chester Baptist Church, organizing the Bermuda chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Chesterfield County Chapter of the American Red Cross and played a major role in organizing the Chester Woman’s Club and the Chester Garden Club. The little girl in the picture is their daughter Laura Hurt Sloan.