Chase will not caucus with GOP, says she remains a Republican
State Sen. Amanda Chase, R-Chesterfield, surprised some last week with an announcement that she would not support Sen. Tommy Norment, R-James City County, as minority leader, and, as a result, would not caucus with the Republican Party when the Legislature convenes in January.  Chase was re-elected in Senate District... Read more
Chase and Morrissey vow to work across party aisle
Chesterfield County voters elected two independent-minded legislators last week in Democrat Joe Morrissey and Republican Amanda Chase. And on Morrissey’s radio show last week on WJFN 100.5 FM, the two said they would work together in the Senate. Democrats took control of the body, 21-19, by picking up two... Read more
Chesterfield stays red as Virginia turns blue
Although Democrats were rejoicing at picking up the state House and Senate on Nov. 5, Chesterfield County Republicans won a number of what some thought would be close races while knocking off incumbent Democrat Commonwealth’s Attorney Scott Miles. Miles, who last year was narrowly elected to finish the remaining... Read more
Election of first Muslim to state Senate draws reaction on Facebook
By Hannah Eason and Sravan Gannavarapu (VCU Capital News Service) Days after Virginia’s legislative elections, anti-Muslim comments flooded news stories about Ghazala Hashmi becoming the first Muslim to serve in the state Senate, with hundreds of Facebook users linking her to terrorism and saying it was a “sad day”... Read more
Ross wants gun rights for felons, yes to Confederate statues
State Senate District 16 doesn’t feature conventional candidates. Disbarred attorney Joe Morrissey, 62, and his former employee, Waylin Ross, are squaring off Nov. 5 in a race to replace state Sen. Rosalyn Dance, whom Morrissey dispatched in the Democratic Party primary on June 11. Ross, 29, filed signatures to... Read more
Q &A: How will you balance development and “smart growth” with community needs?
Shajuan Mason, Matoaca (D) I would balance development by having more data surrounding the needs of the community and how the proposed development will address that need. I would have a separate commission conduct a needs assessment. The needs assessment would address how the proposed development would impact neighborhoods,... Read more
Davenport, Miles vying for commonwealth’s attorney
Stacey Davenport Age: 42 Status: Married with two children Why I should be elected? I am the only candidate in this race who supports keeping School Resource Officers in our schools to keep our children and teachers safe. I am the only candidate with the ability to rebuild the... Read more
‘Battle of the Amandas’ in Senate District 11
A woman who calls herself a “liberal Christian” and campaigned last week with Alec Baldwin in western Matoaca is challenging an incumbent gun-toting woman who defied party politicos and recently got kicked out of a county Republican Party committee. The Senate District 11 race pits Democrat Amanda Pohl vs.... Read more
Jackson, Longnaker vying for $130K-a-year treasurer’s post
On Nov. 5, Chesterfield County residents will elect a new county treasurer. It’s the first contested treasurer’s election in 40 years. Although such a race may normally seem “humdrum,” the specter of a dismissed five-year-old forgery charge and five years of delinquent personal property taxes against Democrat nominee Michael... Read more
Supervisors candidates face off at Chester forum
All 10 candidates for the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors participated in a candidate forum Oct. 17 at the new Workforce Development Center at John Tyler Community College’s Chester campus. About 100 people attended the event, which featured questions asked by the audience through moderator Bob Holsworth. Candidates were typically... Read more