The popular swimming hole right off U.S. Route One between Richmond and Petersburg, (directly across the Bermuda Crossroads Shopping Center) was the most refreshing refuge from humidity and sweltering dog days west of Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. It was a mecca for locals seeking a few hours... Read more
It was about 1836 when the picture above was taken of the Schooner John J. Ward with Capt. Van Cleef as skipper. The terminal at Bermuda Hundred was at the end of Bermuda Hundred Road on the James River. You can still see some of pilings left from the... Read more
County mapping specialist retires after 45 years. “My father said, ‘Don’t find a job for the money you can make; find a job that you like,’” – George Fickett There are few people, possibly none, more familiar with Civil War history in Chesterfield County than George L. Fickett, Jr.... Read more
The postcard on the top, as it says, depicts West Hundred Road going east just before crossing Chester Road in 1970. Not really that long ago in Fausz years. The photo features an Esso station at left where the Chester pocket park is today. The Esso in the picture was... Read more
Fort Lee is celebrating their centennial this year and in keeping with the theme of military history is Chester’s own Bebe Alexander. The 94-year-old Chester resident donated her father’s WWI uniform (and letters he wrote to her mother) to Fort Lee’s PXtra, and it will be on display for... Read more
Bessie Hicks, circa 1904, holds her son and daughter, possibly waiting for her husband to get home from a hard day’s work at the Matoaca Mill or getting ready to go to work at the sweat shop herself. The Matoaca Mill spun cotton into cloth using newly invented machines.... Read more
A great white oak tree has stood on Chesterfield’s courthouse lawn for over 200 years. Every 10 years, what has been come to known as the Nunnally white oak tree is measured in a formal ceremony and entered into county records. In 2011 the girth was measured at 17... Read more
Chester’s original “downtown” was a stop which was an intersection of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, running north to south, and the Clover Hill Railroad, which became the Bright Hope Railway, then the Farmville and Powhatan Railroad. In 1900, when the Richmond and Petersburg merged with the Atlantic Coast... Read more
John Randolph – the name is synonymous with education, healthcare, agriculture, and politics. A number of well-to-do families were all related to Randolph in and around Petersburg. Young John lived at Matoax (Matoaca) until he was nine years old. The old Matoax home was located on Randolph Farm in... Read more
Remember when… From the Village News archives, December 10, 1998. The season officially opened on Dec. 1 with the Annual Illumination Ceremony presented by the Chester Library, then on Harrowgate Road. The tree lighting ceremony was opened by Nancy Van Auken, Chester Library supervisor. She welcomed neighbors and introduced... Read more