A great white oak tree has stood on Chesterfield’s courthouse lawn for over 200 years. Every 10 years, what has been come to known as the Nunnally white oak tree is measured in a formal ceremony and entered into county records. In 2011 the girth was measured at 17... Read more
Chester’s original “downtown” was a stop which was an intersection of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, running north to south, and the Clover Hill Railroad, which became the Bright Hope Railway, then the Farmville and Powhatan Railroad. In 1900, when the Richmond and Petersburg merged with the Atlantic Coast... Read more
John Randolph – the name is synonymous with education, healthcare, agriculture, and politics. A number of well-to-do families were all related to Randolph in and around Petersburg. Young John lived at Matoax (Matoaca) until he was nine years old. The old Matoax home was located on Randolph Farm in... Read more
Remember when… From the Village News archives, December 10, 1998. The season officially opened on Dec. 1 with the Annual Illumination Ceremony presented by the Chester Library, then on Harrowgate Road. The tree lighting ceremony was opened by Nancy Van Auken, Chester Library supervisor. She welcomed neighbors and introduced... Read more
  Michael White, in his historical role as a soldier, stood beside his table filled with tools, guns, blankets, odds and ends and a Christmas tree Saturday. Behind him a campfire burned bright, spreading its warmth on a frigid day at Henricus, the Colonial Christmas has begun. In the... Read more
By Barbara McHale During the holidays, the Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Christmas Mother Committee is extremely busy preparing for a season of giving. The committee is a nonprofit, charitable organization established in 1972 by Lucy Corr, then superintendent of the Chesterfield County Welfare Department. The program’s sole purpose is to assist... Read more
Members of the Old Dominion Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society have started creating new exhibits for use in the baggage room of that museum. The Board of Directors and the Museum Committe have designed several new, light-weight display panels to replace old, heavy, plywood folding screen type... Read more
Built in 1904 and still in operation in 1930 when this photo was taken, the rail crossing at Centralia Road and CSX (Seaboard Railroad) was a local rail stop. The double tracks were convenient to keep the trains on time. A gas station and general store was located adjacent... Read more
Jake Halder, owner of one-half interest in two thoroughbred colts, gave his hopefuls daily workouts in preparation for a full racing season. The picture above was taken just as Jake was taking the colts to the barn after a workout. Warpath is on the left and Wahoo is on... Read more