Members of the Old Dominion Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society have started creating new exhibits for use in the baggage room of that museum. The Board of Directors and the Museum Committe have designed several new, light-weight display panels to replace old, heavy, plywood folding screen type... Read more
Built in 1904 and still in operation in 1930 when this photo was taken, the rail crossing at Centralia Road and CSX (Seaboard Railroad) was a local rail stop. The double tracks were convenient to keep the trains on time. A gas station and general store was located adjacent... Read more
Jake Halder, owner of one-half interest in two thoroughbred colts, gave his hopefuls daily workouts in preparation for a full racing season. The picture above was taken just as Jake was taking the colts to the barn after a workout. Warpath is on the left and Wahoo is on... Read more

HistoryUncategorized October 26, 2016

  Pictured above is the home place of Chester’s first doctor and his wife, Dr. Alvin Judson Hurt and Maud McLaurine Hurt. Their home sat on the corner of Harrowgate and Old Hundred roads. When the Hurts came to Chester in 1904, they took up residence at the Chester... Read more
Pictured is the home place of Miss Lucy Corr, former Director of Chesterfield County’s Social Services Department located on Lori Road just past the county administration building. Corr is remembered for starting a nursing home that reflected the strong family values embedded in the Chesterfield County community. That meant... Read more
Chesterfield- The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia (CHSV) will present a lecture on the old trees of Chesterfield County, on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 11a.m. at the County Museum. Museum staff and Chesterfield Master Gardener Pat Roble will discuss Chesterfield’s most notable trees. Learn about the Nunnally oak tree... Read more
Ron and Nancy Clevenger live in Farmer City, Ill., but have strong connections to Chesterfield and the part it played in the Civil War. Their relative, Lewis Hurley, a Union soldier, was killed during the five-day Battle of Proctor’s Creek. The couple visited Chesterfield three years ago after visiting... Read more
  Castlewood, located at the corner of Iron Bridge and Krause roads, was built in sections and it began as a church, a home to several families, a bank, and most recently, before renovations began, the Chesterfield Historical Society home office. The original building, the center, was erected for... Read more
Remember When… The Perdue-Thompson house The landscape on West Hundred Road changed 18 years ago when Thomas Dale High School began an extensive renovation and expansion. With the expansion of the school’s footprint, a neighboring property with a house was purchased. The house, known as the Perdue-Thompson House, sat... Read more