Browsing: Community

The Central Virginia Youth Center is having a “vision launch” event Saturday, Feb. 18 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The center is a Christian-based non-profit for local teenagers and is sponsored by the Children’s Home of Virginia Baptist. The group was founded by Ashley Cox (who is also the center’s executive director) and a Youth Leadership Council comprised of juniors and seniors from L.C. Bird High School. Cox is a teacher at Bird, and she got the idea for a youth center last August. With the help of the council, they presented their idea to the board of the Children’s…

The state of Dale District School By John Erbach. Dale District School Board Member After serving the Dale District on our School Board for a year now, I am humbled at the tremendous success of our County’s schools and the opportunities to build on those successes. Chesterfield County has one of the finest school systems in Virginia, and the schools in the Dale District are no exception. But, there are opportunities for growth and improvement. This School Board is not satisfied with Chesterfield’s Schools being among the best in the Commonwealth. Together with our new Superintendent, Dr. James Lane,…

Call Federal credit union’s new location in the Kroger Marketplace center has no tellers. A coffee bar just off the entrance sets the stage for conversation on two sofas in front of a large wall-size touch-screen monitor. Members may also choose one of the table tops large enough for a couple of laptops; either setting offers members a warm, welcoming banking experience where bankers and customers can talk about loan options and bank services. There is also an in-lobby ATM that will issue $1 and $5 bills. The second retail-style branch of the credit union celebrated this new location with…

Two drivers traveling from Georgia brought the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile to Chester. Ketchup Kayla and Tasty T greeted sightseers at the Kroger grocery store in the Breckenridge Shopping Center and at the Kroger Marketplace on Iron Bridge Road Thursday. Sightseers took pictures with the Weinermobile, viewed the inside of the vehicle, and took photos with hot dog cutouts. On a year’s assignment after graduating from college with broadcasting journalism degrees, the two Hotdoggers have been touring the East Coast for the last six months, putting around 25,000 miles on the Weinermobile, with likely another 20,000 miles still to go. They…

When David Potter was a teenager living with his grandparents, he was unsure about what career path he should take. Potter grew up with humble beginnings in Pikeville, Ky., and was destined to become a third generation coal miner. He said the mining town did not have many opportunities, and with his friend heading down the wrong path, he began to think about his own career path. “When it came time for me to choose a career path, I really thought about how I grew up,” Potter said. “Throughout elementary and high school, I was involved in sports and different…

A great white oak tree has stood on Chesterfield’s courthouse lawn for over 200 years. Every 10 years, what has been come to known as the Nunnally white oak tree is measured in a formal ceremony and entered into county records. In 2011 the girth was measured at 17 feet, 7 inches. An article pasted into a Woman’s Club of Chester Nomination for the National Register of Historic Trees, a Richmond Times-Dispatch article published on May 13, 1940 reported that the great oak had grown 2 feet 1 ½ inches in girth in the last 10 years.The article further indicated…

Virginia State University Music Education major Kristian Ruffis pump out some sounds on his trombone last week at the Bermuda Crossroads Shopping Center. For customers going into the shops, the music added additional pleasantries to the warm sunny day. He and a friend was were in the area and stopped by the center. “I just wanted to come outside and play music,” he said. “It feels good.” Have a picture of the week? Send us a high res with info to [email protected]

Charmaine Crowell-White will present a one-woman show focused on slave life on he Montpelier plantation and the James and Dolley Madison White House. Through Sukey’s storytelling, Charmaine Crowell-White explores the personality and talents of Dolley Madison. She will have three performances of Sulkey: Life with Dolley Madison. The first will be this Saturday from 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. in the meeting room at the Ettrick-Matoaca. She will be at the Bon Air Library on Thursday, Feb. 16 from 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. and at the Meadowdale Library on Monday, Feb. 27 from 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Crowell-White…

Seeing the smiles and hearing their voices ring out “I can see, I can see better” was a very big deal for Wayne Castleberry, committee chairman for local Rotary club’s project “We Can See Clearly Now.” Castleberry, along with members from Conexus Vision, the nation’s non-profit consumer advocacy group for all issues related to healthy vision, witnessed the smiles and voices of 20 students from Elizabeth Scott Elementary School Thursday as they received their prescription glasses. Through the Rotarys project, Conexus screened 3,585 students in Chesterfield’s Title I elementary schools. From the initial screening, they provided 263 professional eye exams…

1 118 119 120 121 122 200