Lions launch vision screening van
CHESTER – Chester Lions were excited to learn that the Mobile Health Unit, which has been in the plans for the past five years, is done. Calvin Easter, vice-district governor for the area and treasurer for the Mobile Health Unit, spoke to the Chester Lions at their recent semi-monthly... Read more
Boy Scouts build mini-bridge for Richmond Railroad Museum
CHESTERFIELD – Connor Brooks and his crew of helpers saw an important need and they knew they could help. Because they did, the Richmond Railroad Museum has a new mini-bridge and Brooks is a step closer to his Eagle rank. Brooks’ Eagle project greatly improved the access and safety... Read more
Farmer’s market to open Saturday
Lauren Smith grew up on a farm, but when asked to help manage this Chester Farmer’s Market, her response was, “Hell no!” She later changed her mind, explaining that it is because she was already going to be involved with the market. “I just want everybody to be happy,”... Read more
The Chesterfield County Police Department will help community members safely dispose of expired and unneeded medications on Saturday. The police department will host a medication take-back from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Manchester High School, 12601 Bailey Bridge Road. Police, volunteers and federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents will... Read more
Union Bank & Trust is planning to open an office at 10620 Iron Bridge Road in front of a Kroger grocery store. Chesterfield County senior planner Jeff Lamson said the developer is building a 2,400-square-foot facility for the bank, which is headquartered in Richmond. According to the county website,... Read more
Longtime educator ponders life after teaching
Deborah Bailey has been teaching students in Chesterfield County for 33 years, but she is not sure if this will be her last year. Bailey said she has been eligible for retirement for three years and after filling out and turning in the paperwork last year, she went home... Read more
‘The flamingos have landed’ Alice Foreman turns 90 with a flock of love
Birthdays are all about surprises. When Alice Foreman approached her 90th birthday, she experienced her first big surprise: a birthday party at her church, Chester Baptist. “I thought I was going to a book signing at my church, and then to Dillard’s to exchange some clothes I had bought,”... Read more
MEGA students visit Hampton’s museums
On lucky Friday the 13th, four chartered buses carrying Chesterfield middle school students rolled out of the county on an educational tour of Hampton. The Mentors Expecting Greater Achievement students were awarded for their successes with tours to Hampton University and the Virginia Air & Space Center. With students... Read more
Dominion Energy will conduct an open house from 6-8 p.m. April 24 at Elizabeth Scott Elementary in Chester to talk about an upcoming project to replace 230-kilovolt power lines. Another open house will be held from 6-8 p.m. April 26 at Carter G. Woodson Middle School in Hopewell. Dominion... Read more
EDA makes pitch for megasite, citizens’ objections heard
Mike Uzel, spokesman for Bermuda Advocated for Responsible Development, speaks at a community meeting April 11.   The second recent informational meeting about a proposed megasite in the southern part of the county was more orderly than the first, according to two people who attended both. The first meeting... Read more