Browsing: Community

The public is invited to attend an informational meeting about a revamped Harrowgate Park from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11 at Carver Middle School, 3800 Cougar Trail, in Chester. This meeting is to present the conceptual development plan for the new Harrowgate Park. The new park was briefly discussed at the previous community meetings held this past spring. Those meetings addressed the proposed zoning of a nearby site by the Chesterfield Economic Development Authority which included the east-west freeway and school board-related project for the Harrowgate Elementary School relocation. Because of the relocation of the new elementary school…

ABOVE: Church member Skip Buyalos, center, inspects a downed red oak with workers at Chester United Methodist Church annex after it was felled last week. Several residents were upset when they saw a large red oak tree off Harrowgate Road being cut down Friday. The tree was on property owned by Chester United Methodist Church. A pastor at the church, the Rev. James Davis, said a large limb fell toward School Street after the tree was damaged in a recent storm. When the limb was inspected, it was full of ants and much of it was hollowed out, he…

–submitted by Carelyn Sheppard Police chief Jeffrey S. Katz recently spoke to the Chester Lions Club. He has had eight months to settle into his “new” job, since moving from Florida, and put forth his programs for the county as it moves forward. The efforts and those of his officers toward the youth and athletics should be commended and expanded by the citizens of Chesterfield County. Katz is a very personable man with numerous good ideas, but the most impressive thing is his attitude. The news media across the country and world has frequently gone too far in terms of videos…

A Discount Tire store is planned for 12030 Jefferson Davis Highway on a vacant lot across from Moore’s Lake Road. Discount Tire Co. of Scottsdale, Ariz., is planning to build a 26-feet high, 7,680-square-foot building on 1.03 acres. The building would come with 34 parking spaces. The owner of the land is the John F. Alexander Exempt Trust. Express Oil An Express Oil is planned for a 5,234-square-foot building at 11301 Iron Bridge Road, next to O’Reilly Auto Parts and Ironbridge Corner Parkway. The developer, VA Express LC of Richmond, plans to build on 1.16 acres. The site plan calls…

ABOVE: Dominga Murray, on right, is pictured with the three runners-up in the beauty pageant, from left, Brianna Johnson, Cary Cordova and Brandilynne Barber. It was a night filled with glitz and glamour. On Monday, Aug. 27, four contestants battled each other in interviews and ball gowns in hopes of being crowned this year’s Miss Chesterfield County Fair Queen. Dominga Murray, winner of the Miss Chesterfield County Fair, received $500 and a trip to Omni Homestead Resort. Throughout the coming year, the queen has the responsibility of being a county fair ambassador, riding in the Christmas parade with the Kiwanis and…

ABOVE: Patricia Clements orders food outside the LaBete food truck at St. Ann’s Catholic Church last week. The aroma of delicious food and sweet treats filled the air Aug. 22 as the parking lot at St Ann Catholic Church hosted several food trucks and hungry customers. Food vendors included La Bete, Slideways and Scoop’s Ice Cream Truck. Patricia Clements, the education director at St. Ann, organized the weekly event over three years ago. “I was familiar with several of the Baptist churches in Richmond, and they were doing food courts on Wednesday nights. I knew a couple of the folks who…

Pam Cooper is recruiting others to help her “pass the love.” Cooper, who has been a Chesterfield County employee for 20 years, recently became a community coordinator within the one-year-old Department of Community Enhancement. The woman who created and managed the county’s anti-littering program in 2004 is still in charge of it, but she is now branching out to other areas. Specifically, she is looking for skilled professionals or retirees to help senior citizens and disabled veterans. She has some 400 volunteers – 150 who are constantly active – who help in various capacities, such as performing residential repairs, removing…

ABOVE: Ashley Unger is pictured with some of her pets. “Many men and women walk by us every day with scars from assault in their life,” said local artist and art teacher Ashley Unger. With her enthusiasm, positivity and passion, few would believe she is among them. “Many times, ‘I am going to kill you’ rang through my ears and into my mind, body and heart. I thought I would die more than once,” she said of an abusive relationship she survived. “This October will mark five years since I was reborn into the woman I am supposed to be.” After…

By a 4-0 vote with James Holland absent, the county board of supervisors last week approved the purchase of a 1.75-acre parcel in Ettrick to support a new elementary school and fire station. The purchase price of $20,000 represented the assessed value of the land, according to the county’s real property manager, John Harmon. The land will be purchased from Stallings Oil Co. There was some confusion about how the agenda item was listed, but the county’s deputy administrator for community development, Bill Dupler, said that no buildings are planned for the property, which is located south of Chesterfield Avenue,…

ABOVE: Stacy and Chris Lane stand in the gazebo where they and their family prayed before relocating their ministry to the former Baptist college. An organization that’s been helping others recently received a hand. The Guardians HOPE Center, which has been providing food and services to the poor and veterans since February 2016, had help from more than 100 volunteers rehabilitating a building on its 39-acre campus last week. Half of a 7,154-square-foot building was flooded in January when a water pipe burst, said Chris Lane, who with his wife Stacy, founded the nonprofit Guardians Inc. in 2012. Lane said…

1 78 79 80 81 82 200