Browsing: Community

Deborah Bailey has been teaching students in Chesterfield County for 33 years, but she is not sure if this will be her last year. Bailey said she has been eligible for retirement for three years and after filling out and turning in the paperwork last year, she went home and cried because she wasn’t sure if she was ready. She eventually wrote a letter to “unretire.” Now there are papers on her desk again, but she is still unsure. “I’ve always told myself I would know when it was time to go because I don’t want to be that teacher…

Birthdays are all about surprises. When Alice Foreman approached her 90th birthday, she experienced her first big surprise: a birthday party at her church, Chester Baptist. “I thought I was going to a book signing at my church, and then to Dillard’s to exchange some clothes I had bought,” she said. The April 14 book signing turned out to be a surprise with 75 to 80 friends, former co-workers and family members. “All of my friends were there. My bridge friends, church friends and folks I worked with at John Randolph Hospital before I retired,” she said. “My family has…

On lucky Friday the 13th, four chartered buses carrying Chesterfield middle school students rolled out of the county on an educational tour of Hampton. The Mentors Expecting Greater Achievement students were awarded for their successes with tours to Hampton University and the Virginia Air & Space Center. With students from Carver, Falling Creek, Providence and Salem Church middle schools, coordinator McKinley “Mac” Moore was assisted in this quest by several mentors and school administrators. On the campus of Hampton University, the young scholars were given a guided tour of the institution’s African American museum of art and history. After lunch…

Dominion Energy will conduct an open house from 6-8 p.m. April 24 at Elizabeth Scott Elementary in Chester to talk about an upcoming project to replace 230-kilovolt power lines. Another open house will be held from 6-8 p.m. April 26 at Carter G. Woodson Middle School in Hopewell. Dominion is proposing a project to rebuild a portion of a double-circuit electric transmission line connecting its Chesterfield and Hopewell substations. Dominion is currently in the conceptual phase of this project, which will address aging infrastructure. For more information, email [email protected] or call 888-291-0190.

Mike Uzel, spokesman for Bermuda Advocated for Responsible Development, speaks at a community meeting April 11. The second recent informational meeting about a proposed megasite in the southern part of the county was more orderly than the first, according to two people who attended both. The first meeting was held on the evening of April 10 at Carver Middle School with the second the following morning at Second Baptist Church. People were talking over each other at the April 10 meeting, said Todd Haymore, an economic development consultant working for the Chesterfield Economic Development Authority. Haymore made a presentation…

The Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a $711 million budget last week that will result in a 1-cent reduction in the real estate property tax rate, a 3.5-percent utility rate increase and a 4.1-percent increase in the utility connection fee. Chairwoman Dorothy Jaeckle said that some $25,000 was added to the budget for the Jefferson Davis Association as a result of pleas by residents who live along North Jefferson Davis Highway. “It shows the impact of coming out to meetings,” she said. “After the Jefferson Davis Special Area Plan is approved, the steering committee will come up with…

CHESTERFIELD – After a storied career spanning more than 35 years in civil service, Harold McManus retired at the end of March from his post as director of Defense Logistics Agency Aviation’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity. The times are always changing, and McManus has ridden on the crest of the wave that swept in changes to the way women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are treated in the workplace. In that time, McManus has seen changes, subtle and overt, that have come with equal opportunity rulings affecting the workplace. Perhaps the greatest of these for the agency…

Three murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony charges each were certified over to Chesterfield Circuit Court last week against Christopher Gattis. A grand jury will consider indictments on May 21. Gattis, 58, has been held in the county jail without bail since he was arrested Thanksgiving Day at his residence at 14955 Dogwood Circle, where police found the bodies of his wife, his stepdaughter and her boyfriend: Jeanett L. Gattis, 58, Candice L. Kunze, 30, and Andrew E. Buthorn, 36. Juvenile and Domestic Relations and General District court judges found probable cause to certify the…

MATOACA – The monthly meeting of the Matoaca Woman’s Club was held on March 20 at New Hope Baptist Church. Wilma Norris, Education/Scholarship Committee chair, presented the March program with an in-depth history of past and current activities from the club’s many years. One of the program’s highlights was recognizing the scholarship awards. The Jeanne Dyson Outstanding Fifth-grader Award focuses on the core values set by the Chesterfield Board of Education. The Matoaca Middle School award, Jean Driskill Matoaca Middle School Warrior of the Year, focuses on core values set by the Chesterfield School Board. Accordingly, the Matoaca High School…

CHESTERFIELD – Matoaca Elementary School was surprised with a $10,000 donation from AdoptAClassroom.org in partnership with Burlington Stores. Representatives from Burlington Stores presented the check April 10 during a student and faculty assembly. The gift will provide nine teams of instructors with $1,111.11 each to purchase new supplies for classrooms. “We appreciate all of our partners’ efforts to support student achievement, make schools safer, prepare students for the workforce and improve the lives of our students and educators,” Superintendent James Lane said of the donation.

1 92 93 94 95 96 200