Browsing: Community

Twenty years goes by like a flash of lightning that sends your dog jumping into your lap. Linda and I, who started the Village News twenty years ago, have worked toward a deadline every week since August 20, 1998. Linda and I have decided to retire. We will be passing the Village News down to our son, Elliott, who knows the business as much as Linda or me. Nothing will change for the reader; you can still expect the same great coverage of Chester’s news and events. Not every story has been a happy one but everyone has been uniquely…

“It’s like trying to plan a wedding and there’s a lot to be done with planning a wedding, and obviously the county is not planning this wedding very well.” That’s how BARD member and Glebe Point resident, Amy Cannon, described the county’s handling of the Mataoca Megasite, which was announced last August after Governor Terry McAuliffe revealed the plan to acquire the property off Branders Bridge and develop it as an industrial megasite. Since then it has been an uphill battle for BARD (Bermuda Advocates for Responsible Development) members in their fight to dismantle it. The group, which was formed…

Brings demonstrated record of budgetary leadership to new role CHESTERFIELD – Chesterfield County recently announced Christopher “Matt” Harris as its new deputy county administrator for finance and administration. Harris has been serving as the county’s budget and management director. The Board of Supervisors was expected to appoint him at its Feb. 28 meeting. Harris is scheduled to begin his new role effective March 1. In his previous role, Harris, 37, serves as a key advisor to the county administrator and the Board of Supervisors. He was responsible for the development and implementation of the county’s annual operating budget and capital…

CHESTER – Winds played havoc with area residents and their homes last week. A six-year-old boy died as a result of injuries sustained after a tree fell onto his bed at about 2 a.m. Friday, March 2. Chesterfield Police confirmed that Anthony Hamilton died later that day after being transported to a hospital. Cindy Marshall, a spokeswoman from the Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office, said 11 units responded to 820 Cliffside Drive. Units began arriving at 2:09 a.m. and by 2:44 a.m. they had stabilized the tree and extricated the boy. Fire department personnel used equipment to cut the bed railings,…

CHESTER – From a young age, Tallie Frost knew she was an artist. It’s how she saw herself. As a child, she dreamed of becoming a cartoonist, but over time, her goals shifted. She joined the military and spent six years serving in the Army National Guard, but her desire to express herself creatively never vanished. When the time came to re-enlist, Frost, a Memphis, Tenn., native now living in Chesterfield, chose to transition out of the military. With the encouragement of those around her, she also decided to pursue her lifelong interest in art. “It was a combination of…

CHESTERFIELD – Alacrity. Tapirs. Vociferous. Generalissimo. Uncoquettish. Mitochondria. Cabochon. These were just a few of the words that participants in the Chesterfield County Public Schools spelling bee were challenged to spell to be crowned champion and advance to the regional spelling bee. Arinan Johri, a fourth-grader at Marguerite Christian Elementary, is this year’s top speller in Chesterfield County Public Schools. He beat out 18 other Chesterfield students to win the county-wide spelling bee. Arinan correctly spelled “mouthiness” and “trespasser” to win the competition. He will represent the county school system in the regional spelling bee March 17 at the Library…

There is a long history on a piece of land known to some as the Continental Can property. The land has sat quietly since Continental Can Co. sold the property in the early 1990s. Now the acreage being called the Matoaca Mega Site may be rezoned to industrial tentatively at the March 20 Planning Commission meeting. A massive residential development was proposed on about 1,650 acres along Branders Bridge in 2006, and the rezoning was approved in 2008. The development, to be called Branner Station, was a heady design with a projected 5,000 homes, town center and two school sites…

Please note the control buttons at the bottom of the page and play around with them to get familiar with what they do. The online paper you see is identical to the Village News you see on the stand every week at your favorite pickup place. But the online paper will be delayed because we would like you to read the one that smells like ink. Just click on the date below of the issue you would like to read: Thank you, Village News Staff June 28, 2017 Magazine Style Full issue July 05, 2017 Magazine Style Full issue July…

The Mark Matthews Chapter of the 9th and 10th Calvary (Horse) Association will hold its annual Live Museum event Feb. 17, noon – 4 p.m. at the Freedom Support Center, 32 West Washington Street, Petersburg. The event will feature “in character” Buffalo Soldiers who have made their mark on military and American history. The Live Museum supports community outreach for school supplies as well as elementary and ROTC programs and scholarships statewide. For more information, call Teresa Thomas at (804) 237-6712. For more information, call Chuck Andolino, Chesterfield Historical Society, Veterans Day Committee, (804) 275-6004Buffalo Soldiers to hold ‘Live Museum’…

Under coach Tiara Boyd, Matoaca volleyball made a historic postseason run this year to the 5A state tournament, a first in school history. Now, two players have reaped the benefits of their hard work and success in the classroom and on the court. Senior Mackenzy Johnson has committed to play Division I volleyball at Norfolk State, and junior Lani Mason has cone the same for Delaware. “When I stepped on campus, I fell in the love,” Johnson said. “I know people from both James River and Matoaca and I felt comfortable there and really related to the coaching staff.” “Delaware…

1 96 97 98 99 100 200