An alert Sheriff’s Deputy spotted smoke in the County Courts Building located at 9500 Courthouse Rd. on Oct. 10 at 8:38 p.m. The deputy immediately contacted emergency communications and firefighters were quickly dispatched. Fire and medical personnel from Airport, Dale, Centralia, Chester, Manchester at Courthouse, Bensley and Dutch Gap fire stations, along with two battalion chiefs, a tactical safety officer and county police responded to the emergency. Lt. Jason Elmore of Chesterfield Fire and EMS said that smoke was seen in the judges’ parking lot and an elevator shaft. Crews initiated an intense search of the building and discovered the cause to be the HVAC unit. No injuries were reported.
In other incidents
- Oct. 15 at 1:40 p.m., a motor vehicle crash was reported at Rivers Bend Circle and Rivers Bend Road.
- Oct. 15 around 1:30 p.m., a motor vehicle crash was reported in the 7300 block of Jefferson Davis Hwy. Fire and medical personnel from Bensley Fire Station, along with county police and a City of Richmond Police Officer were at the scene. One vehicle was into a utility pole and after the Technical Rescue Team from the Bensley Fire Station on the Aerial Ladder Truck stabilized the vehicle, medics monitored the injured person, the team removed the door from the vehicle, the patient was secured on a gurney and then transported to a local hospital. The crash is under investigation.
- Oct. 13 at 3:09 p.m., a motor vehicle crash was reported at Meadowburm and Bryanbell roads. One person was injured in the crash and transported to a hospital. A medic unit and a fire engine from Bensley Fire Station, along with county police were dispatched to the emergency. Both vehicles sustained heavy damage in the crash with one vehicle ending up off the roadway, in a yard and into a tree. Firefighters spread absorbent on the fluids in the roadway that had leaked from the vehicles. The crash is under investigation.
- Oct. 10 at 4:20 p.m., a violent motor vehicle crash was reported at Walmsley and Turner roads with one vehicle overturning and one vehicle going down an embankment. Fire and medical personnel from Dale, Manchester and Buford fire stations, along with county police were dispatched. Three people were injured in the crash and transported to a local hospital. The crash is under investigation.
- Oct. 9 at 3:30 p.m., a motor vehicle crash was reported in the 6600 block of Public Works Ct.