Chesterfield County Public Schools annually honors two students from every school for demonstrating citizenship and the school division’s core values of respect, responsibility, honesty and accountability, a CCPS press release says. During an April 15 banquet at the Holiday Inn Select Koger South, 128 students from Chesterfield’s 64 schools were set to be recognized as Students of the Year for 2010.
Two siblings were honored this year – Ashley Alex, who is in eighth grade at Carver Middle, and Albin Alex, who is in fifth grade at Harrowgate Elementary – and a student was honored for the second year in a row – Ryder Elder is a 2010 Student of the Year for Chester Middle and was a 2009 Student of the Year for Curtis Elementary.
Schools use different approaches to selecting their Students of the Year, and honorees reflect the diversity of the almost 59,000 students in Chesterfield schools, the release says. Many Students of the Year excel academically, some are talented artists and athletes, some have disabilities and some are growing up in challenging environments, but none of those circumstances are why they are selected as Students of the Year.
“Students of the Year make good choices,” Superintendent Marcus Newsome says in the CCPS press release. “They are a joy to have in class, always give 100 percent, reach out to help others and exhibit a positive attitude.”
Video from the banquet, which is sponsored by the Midlothian Rotary Club, will be shown on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon Fios Channel 26 at 7 p.m. daily from April 23 to April 30, the release says.
AMONG THE STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ARE:
- Bellwood Elementary - Lesly Rangel and Kimberly Zavala
- Bensley Elementary - Joe L. Bipat and Shelyah Tucker
- Beulah Elementary -Olivia Robertson and Dwayne Thurston Jr.
- Marguerite Christian Elementary - Kashaun Bailey and Jacquelyn Corley
- Curtis Elementary - Joshua Deckert and Alexis Runyon
- Ecoff Elementary - Victoria Wood and September Kuzmick
- Enon Elementary - Harrison Baisden and Dianitzmarie Rivera
- Ettrick Elementary - Prince-Kavaar Fulton and Courtney Boyd
- Falling Creek Elementary -Patrick Casseus Jr. and Mimi Tran
- Gates Elementary - Keiyana Brogden and Olivia Wehrli
- Harrowgate Elementary - Albin Alex and Joshua Wheeler
- Hening Elementary - Reginald Bryant Jr. and Nicolas Hoyos Rodriguez
- Hopkins Elementary - Sydney Price and Samira Tarabay-Whitfield
- Matoaca Elementary - Emily Smith and Tyler Boyd
- Salem Church Elementary - Catherine Garcia and Bryan Johnson
- Elizabeth Scott Elementary - Raza Haider and Megan Foreman
- Wells Elementary - Gabriella Watson and Tanner Davis
- Carver Middle - Ashley Alex and Joseph Crouch
- Chester Middle - Ryder Elder and Tianna Gregory
- Elizabeth Davis Middle - Dornisia Smith and Aman Kapadia
- Falling Creek Middle - Anderson Gonzalez and Amber Worsley
- Matoaca Middle - Rachel Cohen and Sophia King
- Perrymont Middle - Dylan Clement and Maria Perez
- Salem Church Middle - Abigail Robinson and Kevin Perez
- Lloyd C. Bird High - Elizabeth Barnes and Brittany Bullock
- Chesterfield Community High - Kaitlin Davis and Geronimo Flores Jr.
- Chesterfield Technical Center - Stephen Gleason and Jarita Wilson
- Matoaca High - Melissa Skoff and Bilal Sayar
- Meadowbrook High - Diego Velasco and Namrata Kang
- Thomas Dale High - Brianda Beverley and Zachary Fisher