UNATTENDED COOKING CAUSE OF HOUSE FIRE

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services has determined that a house fire Thursday night resulted from unattended cooking. The resident of the house, who has been displaced, suffered smoke inhalation and remains under care at Chippenham Medical Center .

Fire crews arrived Feb. 7, at 8:40 p.m., at 4240 Ketcham Drive , where they found heavy smoke coming from the front door. Upon entering, firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire in the kitchen and living room. It took crews about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control. The home sustained significant damage. The lone resident had started to cook something but then fell asleep, according to county fire marshals. He was awakened by the sound of the smoke alarm and exited through the front door.

One firefighter suffered minor burns and was treated and released.