County police officer, neighbors save woman from burning home

Flames were eating through the roof of the brown home and thick, black, choking smoke filled the neighborhood sky in the 7400 block of Newbys Ct. on Feb. 16 at 10:15 a.m. Several residents who also lived on the street, smelled smoke, investigated the smell and saw their neighbor’s home ablaze, immediately several of them quickly ran to the door and alerted the resident, who was not aware the home was on fire. Someone also called 911 to report the fire. As the neighbors were sounding the alarm a county police officer who was in the area arrived on scene and assisted the female resident out of the burning home.

Rain and snow pelted crews and onlookers. A fire department aerial ladder truck parked angled in the street to provide the best access to the home and yellow fire engines dotted the pavement. Huge hoses that pulsed water to quench the fire snaked across the roadway and lawns to the home. Ladders leaned against the side of the home and a ladder was placed on the steep roof so firefighters could work. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters placed plastic over the open areas of the home to prevent further damage. “After the police officer assisted the resident out, he instructed her to move her vehicle out of the driveway. That was a great help to us,” said Rick Edinger, Assistant Chief-Emergency Operations, Chesterfield Fire and EMS. One adult female and one male teen, were displaced and were assisted by the Red Cross, Edinger said. Fire and medical crews were dispatched from Manchester at Courthouse, Courthouse, Buford and Wagstaff fire stations. Manchester Volunteer Rescue Squad provided EMS support. County police, and a fire department battalion chief, tactical safety officer and fire marshal were also on scene. The cause was ruled as a squirrel’s nest under the fire box within the prefabricated chimney, Edinger said.
 
In other incidents
Feb. 13 at 2:26 p.m., firefighters from Ettrick Fire Station along with a safety officer and a battalion chief were dispatched to the 500 block of Old Oak Lane in Colonial Heights to assist Colonial Heights Fire and EMS with smoke reported in a residence.

Feb. 13 at 2:09 p.m., a fire engine from Dale Fire Station was dispatched to the 5200 block of Burnt Oak Drive in Ivy Walk Apartments off Iron Bridge Road, for a fire alarm activation. Crews arrived on scene and began an investigation and discovered a malfunctioning pull station alarm. The situation was soon brought under control

Comments

Post new comment

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Related Content