Max's holiday travels

Hello and welcome back to the wonderful after-the-holidays Dogpound. We in the pack hope that you had a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.  I had the opportunity to go to Knoxville to visit my middle daughter and her family for the holidays but it became a bit more of a trip than I had expected.  When I bought my airline tickets I had to travel through Chicago which offered the best timing and lowest cost, however, I did so with some hesitation.  Some years ago I swore that I would not fly through Chicago ever again since it seemed every trip resulted in a layover, lost luggage, or delayed flights.  

Well, true to nature, the curse held true once again.  My first flight was on Friday evening and we were about 20 minutes late boarding the plane.  We sat there for a while when they did something I had not experienced before…the stewardess announced over the speaker that the plane was overweight and they needed three volunteers to get off  or they would have to take the last ones that boarded the flight [this was not a small plane..we had 140 passengers].  Of course no one volunteered so they had to pull a few off by name, but the good news is that some folks did decide to volunteer after all. Other than a gesture of goodwill, I am sure they were enticed with the $150 voucher, hotel accommodations, morning flight out, and a dinner thrown in to boot [only missing the flowers and candy].  After that was settled, we backed out of the gate and got out on the runway when the pilot came on the speaker and announced that there was a fog bank in Chicago and we would be delayed about 45 minutes.  At this point my brain started to nag me...”Why did you book this flight? You knew this would happen.  Yada..yada..yada.”  Just when I started to regret not taking the initial offering to fly out the next day, the pilot announced we were cleared to go and we finally left the ground.  They were not kidding about the fog.  It seemed like we flew forever in a cloud bag as we approached the Chicago airport, and when we did pop out, I am guessing we were less than 500 feet off the ground.  Despite the limited visibility, we landed safely only to be greeted with an announcement at my departure gate that my connecting flight would be three hours late.  Yikes!  All in all I finally got to Knoxville around 11:30 p.m. vs my original plan of 8:45 p.m.  The curse of the Chicago airfield held true not only for this flight but for my return flight as well. Now, that adventurous tale will have to wait till the next exciting installment of the Dogpound!


“There are two amazing places you can be, the nicest place to be in is someone’s thoughts, and the safest place to be in is someone’s prayers.”

On an airplane, I overheard a stewardess talking to an elderly couple in front of me. Learning that it was the couple’s 50th wedding anniversary, the flight attendant congratulated them and asked how they had done it. “It all felt like five minutes...” the gentleman said slowly. The stewardess had just begun to remark on what a sweet statement that was when he finished his sentence with a word that earned him a sharp smack on the head: “...underwater.”

That is it for now.  As always be good, play safe and remember to always pray for the ones that are most dear to your heart.  

JR and Max


Post new comment

More information about formatting options

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Related Content

01/28/2015 - 07:03
01/21/2015 - 08:41
01/07/2015 - 06:24