Sunset Memorial Park, a perpetual care cemetery and mausoleum in Chester, announces the start of construction of a long-planned expansion at its location at 2901 West Hundred Rd. The park’s increase in size will complete the original development master plan, first drawn in1929. The cemetery was at one time part of property owned by John G. Gay, and is an extension of an old cemetery associated with the farm house adjacent to the current site, known as the Yellow House. Mr. Gay’s descendents still own the former 560-acre farm’s original primary residence. The Yellow House, built by Henry A. Winfree in 1856, and the environs figured prominently in the Battle of Chester Station on May 10, 1864, as Union Gen. Butler marched towards Richmond.
With the planned expansion, the cemetery will be doubled in size from its current 20 acres to about 40 acres. The local manager of the park is James Meadows; he may be contacted at 748-2166. Design for the new cemetery was provided by the Chester firm of Dean E. Hawkins, ASLA, Landscape Architect and Land Development Planner, who may be reached at 748-6519.