Cooking is cause of weekend fire

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded Sunday, July 17, at 4:35 p.m. to 3440 Meadowdale Blvd. for an apartment fire. Fire crews arrived to find smoke and fire showing from a first-floor window.

The cause of the fire was accidental and started as the result of cooking. Homeowners advised fire officials that they noticed flames coming from underneath a pot on the stove and attempted to extinguish the fire with water, causing the fire to spread. Chesterfield County Fire and EMS urges residents to always have proper safety measures in place while cooking.

1)    Keep a cookie sheet close so you can cover a pot or pan that is on fire to smother it (never try to remove a pan that is on fire out of the house).
2)    Do not leave cooking equipment unattended while cooking.
3)    Always have a portable fire extinguisher in close proximity to the kitchen.

Comments

Post new comment

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.