The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded Monday morning, Nov. 23, at 9:23 a.m. to the Bellwood Maisonettes, 2500 block of Alfalfa Lane, for the report of an apartment fire. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the front door and fire from a window. One juvenile was at home at the time of the incident and escaped; however, she went back into the apartment to rescue her dog. She successfully rescued the dog but received smoke inhalation and was transported to the hospital for treatment. Three persons will be displaced and are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Fire Marshals determined the fire started in the bedroom but have not determined an exact cause. The fire is still under investigation.