Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) is hosting its annual Spring River Clean-up Day on March 26, from 9 a.m. to noon.
Come out and help restore healthy shorelines by removing litter, debris, and trash from local lands along the Appomattox River at sites in Colonial Heights, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Petersburg, and Prince George waterways.
FOLAR site captains will be at each site from 9 a.m. to 12 noon to provide guidance and trash bags. Please wear sturdy shoes and bring work gloves if you have them.
- Appomattox River Regional Park, 800 FOLAR Trail, Prince George, VA 23860 – Ken and Debbie Newman, Co-Captains
- Campbell’s Bridge, University Ave., Petersburg 23806 – Wayne Walton, Captain
- Hopewell City Park, 205 Appomattox Street, Hopewell 23680 – Christian Volk, Captain
- Hopewell City Marina, 1051 Riverside Ave. Hopewell 23860 – Johnny Partin, Captain
- Ferndale Appomattox Riverside Park, Ferndale Rd., Dinwiddie 23805 – LuAnn Collier, Captain
- Rosalyn Landing Park, 265 Charles Dimmock Pkwy, Colonial Heights 23834 – Eloise Ward and Lewis Johnson, Co-Captains
- Lake Chesdin Public Boat Ramp (Southern Shore) – Dinwiddie, Directions: From Petersburg, Rt460W;R on Rt226;R on Rt600;L on Rt601;R on Rt776 – Chris Rizzo, Captain
- Ettrick/VSU Trail, 21701 Jackson Street, Petersburg, VA 23803 – Lorne Field, Captain
Last year FOLAR collected and removed more than 85 giant bags of trash, tires and other damaging material from the Appomattox and its tributaries in a three-hour period thanks to the many volunteers.
Additional information can be found on the FOLAR website: www.folar-va.org.