Happy Trails! Youth Conservation Corps helps at Pocahontas State Park
ABOVE: Hunter Faison shows a tree he removed while trail building at Pocahontas State Park recently. On a hot, humid August day in the depths of Pocahontas State Park, a group of young people with the Youth Conservation Corps helped build a new hiking trail. “We’re doing something productive,” 16-year-old... Read more
Childrey wins GOP nod
John Childrey won the Republican nomination for Chesterfield County’s commonwealth’s attorney Saturday with 80 percent of the vote in a canvass at six locations. Childrey, chief deputy commonwealth’s attorney in Chesterfield, defeated Stacey Davenport, a Henrico County domestic violence prosecutor. The two were vying for the Grand Old Party’s... Read more
Third Thursdays: Burrito Riders League to perform Aug. 16
The Chester Village Green’s Third Thursdays concert series continues Aug. 16 when Burrito Riders League takes the stage. The band came together in the spring of 2015 after Chester musician Slim Stanton posted on Facebook something to the effect of: “Before I die I need to play in a... Read more
Hummus plant set to expand
SOUTH CHESTERFIELD – Sabra Dipping Co. broke ground July 24 on an expansion of the world’s largest hummus-making facility. The 40,000-square-foot expansion of the 220,000-square-foot factory in the Ruffin Mill Industrial Park east of Interstate 95 will enable Sabra to further expedite product delivery to retail, which means getting... Read more
Two vie for  GOP nomination: Canvass for top attorney slot to be held Aug. 11 at six county locations
    Chesterfield County voters can choose the Republican nominee for commonwealth’s attorney in a canvass election Aug. 11. The contest is between John Childrey, chief deputy commonwealth’s attorney in Chesterfield, and Stacey Davenport, a domestic violence prosecutor in Henrico County. The candidate elected to the position Nov. 6... Read more
Central Library opens after long renovation
ABOVE:  Jackson Taylor reads a book in ‘The Shell.’ A $3.8-million renovation of the Central Library caused one local resident to gush when she saw it. “I’m really impressed with how they spent my tax dollars,” Chester resident Janet Bishop said last week. “It’s beautiful. I’m getting goose bumps... Read more
Chester woman hits century mark
ABOVE: Ferne Schreffler opened birthday cards at the party on Saturday. Also pictured is her son, Brad Schreffler. Long-time Chester resident Ferne Schreffler celebrated her 100th birthday Saturday with a surprise visit by her 91-year-old sister, Lois Gruver. Bob and Ferne Schreffler lived in Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Utah before... Read more
Village News goes to Minneapolis
Dean Andrs, on left, recently traveled from Chester to Minneapolis with some of his family to visit his uncle, Bill Andrs, who is 88 years old and enjoys reading the Village News. Dean and family enjoyed fishing on several of the state’s 10,000 lakes and visiting relatives and friends.... Read more
Quarrel over a quarry: Supervisors nix Shoosmith’s request to use quarry as a landfill
ABOVE: Residents listen to public comment at 11:55 p.m. July 25 during a county board of supervisors meeting. The Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors unanimously denied a request from Shoosmith Bros., Inc. to use its granite quarry as a landfill during a July 25 meeting that lasted more than seven... Read more
County to pay $700K for land for revamped park: Rebuilding Harrowgate Park would cost $5M
The Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors unanimously voted last week to proceed with the $700,000 purchase of 21.2 acres for a revamped Harrowgate Park. The purchase of land from Harrowgate LC should close within 30 days, county parks chief Stuart Connock said. He added that some wetlands on the... Read more