Browsing: Community

The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia (CHSV) will present “Planters Day” at historic Magnolia Grange House Museum on Saturday, June 4 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. “Planters Day” will interpret life on the farm in Chesterfield County in the 186os with costumed re-enactors, traditional music, crafts and trades such as a potter, a doctor and a midwife, a carpenter, children’s activities and more. The outdoor event is $3 for adults and $1 for children. Magnolia Grange will be open for tours and refreshments will be available for purchase from Southern Smokin BBQ. Funds raised will benefit restoration efforts to…

This year’s winner of Senior Idol is achieving her childhood dream. “I was born wanting to sing,” Sandy Hendrick, 2016 Senior Idol winner said. “Every since I was in diapers I tried to sing.” She gathered her musical tools early. “When I was three or four years old I had a toy piano,” Hendrick said laughing, ‘There I was, banging away on it and singing something no-one could understand. But I was doing it!” Opportunities began coming Hendrick’s way. “When I was five years old I was in my first play,” she said. “By the time I was 10 years…

The courtship of two Barred Owls began in February on Winfree Street in Chester. After courtship feeding and mutual preening, the Barred Owls settled in a tree hollow of an aged oak tree on Gene and Lynn Alexander’s property at the corner of Winfree and West streets. The Alexanders, neighbors and children began owl watching in early April when Gene Alexander discovered the first baby owl emerge from the tree hole. There were two; named by Alexander, Big Hootie and Little Hootie. Last week, Little Hootie was the last to fledge, joining Ma and Pa Hootie and its sibling, hootin’-away…

Chesterfield County, like many local governments, has amazing volunteers, and the county greatly values their contributions. In fiscal 2015, approximately 4,000 volunteers dedicated 142,000 work hours valued at $3.5 million. Because of the tremendous work our volunteers do alongside county employees, Chesterfield is able to provide exceptional services and programs to residents daily. Services that might otherwise have been decreased have been maintained and even enhanced because of volunteers. The skills, talents and knowledge that volunteers offer contribute to the strength and effectiveness of the county.

The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia (CHSV) will present a special event at Historic Magnolia Grange House Museum on Saturday May 21 at 12 p.m. This special Saturday program features Linda Lott, owner of Stitch by Stitch quilt shop in Chesterfield Meadows Shopping Center. Linda will describe different quilt styles and demonstrate quilting techniques. She will also describe the classes and learning opportunities available at Stitch by Stitch. A quilter for 16 years, Linda is a recent resident of Chesterfield County who opened Stitch by Stitch in April. This program is free and open to the public, who will be…

Challenge Discovery is a team building organization that specializes in helping students build relationships, improve self-esteem, and support each other to become part of a team. The organization is located on the University of Richmond’s campus and includes a two-level high ropes challenge course and multiple low ropes events that are installed in the ground. Their programs provide great opportunities for students and teachers to step out of their comfort zones by trying things they could not have imagined. They work with a variety of different groups including specialty centers, leadership programs, mentoring programs, sports teams, and entire grade levels.…

Each year, Chesterfield County’s law enforcement community joins family, friends and government leaders to remember and honor the brave officers who lost their lives in the line of duty. The event is hosted by the Chesterfield County Police Department, the Chesterfield County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the Chesterfield County Police Foundation, the Chesterfield County Police Retirees Association and the Chesterfield Fraternal Order of Police. This year’s ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 12, at The Heights Baptist Church, located at 17201 Jefferson Davis Hwy. Law enforcement officers who made the ultimate sacrifice for the…

The Hopkins and Kingsland road intersection could get an upgrade – a roundabout. The proposed roundabout will be the subject of a VDOT open house on Tuesday, May 24 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The meeting, which will take place at Beulah Elementary School, will offer a general-information presentation at 5:30 p.m. According to a VDOT legal notice, “this meeting format will provide the flexibility to allow participants to meet and discuss the proposed project directly with staff members.” For inquiries call 804-524-6000. Call ahead so appropriate personnel can answer your question.

The bridge on Dundas Road that climbs over the CSX tracks and becomes Beulah Road west of the bridge will be replaced by 2020. New funding for the project was announced last week, justifying the project due to its sufficiency rating of 34, which would rank the bridge condition as poor, and in need of rehabilitation. The bridge also provides a key link between Bensley Elementary School and a nearby high-density residential area, but lacks appropriate pedestrian facilities. This project would allow the bridge to improve structural integrity while also providing much needed pedestrian facilities. The bridge project will cost $6…

Is it truth or myth? Does Amazon deliver within the hour if you want it that quick? True. Can Amazon deliver your babies’ new shoes by drone? Eventually. The team at Amazon is currently working on a system that will allow for drone delivery. But while some people think of one-hour delivery as myth; it is far from it. Amazon’s Chester Fulfillment Center is part of the reason that area residents can get their Amazon purchases quickly. Employing over 3,300, the tenth largest employer in the region, the Meadowville Technology Park facility, products are moved from incoming to outgoing efficiently…

1 148 149 150 151 152 200