World traveler: TDHS grad enjoys helping others
When I sat down across from Wyatt Gordon at a local Panera, he had been home from Germany for less than 36 hours after living abroad for the last 14 months. Despite a long and exhausting journey, jet lag and having met me only once before, he greeted me... Read more
Year in review: Megasite the top story for 2018
Following is a review of the top stories from the Village News from 2018. The Matoaca Megasite was nixed after the Chesterfield Economic Development Authority voted May 3 to withdraw a rezoning application. How to proceed with a 1,675-acre property now is “up in the air” following the Chesterfield... Read more
Christmas on the Green

Christmas on the Green

Community December 24, 2018

Tonya Incitti holds her dog during ‘Christmas on the Green’ Dec. 15 in Chester. Mission Community Church hosts the annual event. Read more
Hundreds gather to honor veterans with wreath laying ceremony
It was a cloudy, drizzling day but the hearts and spirits of those who came to honor veterans were merry and bright.    “Over 300 volunteers braved the rain and showed up for the wreath laying,” said Don Vtipil, Chesterfield resident and president of Oldies But Goodies Classic Cruizers... Read more
Winter scene

Winter scene

Holiday lights are evident at 12509 Lewis Road. Read more
Fun in the snow

Fun in the snow

Peyton Jones took advantage of ‘Snow Sunday,’ Dec. 9, to have some fun. Read more
Chesterfield County names Hughes community corrections services director
Chesterfield County recently named Gary Hughes its new director of community corrections services. Hughes has 20 years of experience in the community corrections services field. He has been director of Henrico County’s community corrections services department since 2016. Hughes has overseen Henrico’s probation, pretrial and adult drug treatment court... Read more
County not following court’s recommendation on cell phones: Two remedies already in place, officials say
A recent recommendation from the Virginia Supreme Court that would allow electronic devices in courthouses will not be followed in Chesterfield, but a couple of proactive steps have already been made, county officials said. In a press release dated Dec. 14, state Supreme Court Chief Justice Donald W. Lemons... Read more
Veterans honored at  Sunset Memorial Park wreath laying
Saturday, Dec. 15, began cold and rainy. But that didn’t dampen the spirits and resolve of the people who came to take part in the annual Wreaths Across America wreath laying ceremony at Sunset Memorial Cemetery in Chester. A large group of adults and children attended the ceremony along... Read more
The Christmas tree stand
By Jim Harris Louis Corde and I have had many hunting adventures, but the longest lasting with a piece of equipment has been with a simple platform deer stand (without a seat). I nicknamed it “the platform.” Mom – Nell Fitzpatrick Harris – ordered it for me as a... Read more