Retired Army nurse facilitates PTSD group for veterans
Tonia Golden loves helping people. That’s why she became a nurse. Even though she’s retired, Golden continues to serve by facilitating a post-traumatic stress disorder group at Chester’s Disabled American Veterans chapter. The group, which meets at 11 a.m. Thursdays at 6221 Newbys Bridge Road, averages about 12 members... Read more
‘Miles to go before I sleep’
Driving past a place, hearing a song or seeing something that is familiar can bring back wonderful memories followed by a little sadness. Elizabeth “Betty” Matthews, 92, died Friday, Dec. 28. She is mostly known for her service and working to create a sense of place for Chester. Some... Read more
New hiking-only trail opens at Pocahontas State Park
Those who love to take a hike now have a new option. The Co-op Trail officially opened Jan. 1 at Pocahontas State Park. Jeff Samuels, director of the Friends of Pocahontas State Park’s trails committee, said the trail is currently 3 miles although another mile is planned later this... Read more
Local Girl Scouts take action for foster kids
Girl Scout Troop No. 5257, along with Highland Springs Church of the Nazarene and Gerlach Legal Services, recently collected, packed and labeled backpacks with toiletries, pajamas, books and comfort items for kids in foster care. The bags are important since many kids in foster care receive trash bags to... Read more
World traveler: TDHS grad enjoys helping others
When I sat down across from Wyatt Gordon at a local Panera, he had been home from Germany for less than 36 hours after living abroad for the last 14 months. Despite a long and exhausting journey, jet lag and having met me only once before, he greeted me... Read more
Year in review: Megasite the top story for 2018
Following is a review of the top stories from the Village News from 2018. The Matoaca Megasite was nixed after the Chesterfield Economic Development Authority voted May 3 to withdraw a rezoning application. How to proceed with a 1,675-acre property now is “up in the air” following the Chesterfield... Read more
Christmas on the Green

Christmas on the Green

Community December 24, 2018

Tonya Incitti holds her dog during ‘Christmas on the Green’ Dec. 15 in Chester. Mission Community Church hosts the annual event. Read more
Hundreds gather to honor veterans with wreath laying ceremony
It was a cloudy, drizzling day but the hearts and spirits of those who came to honor veterans were merry and bright.    “Over 300 volunteers braved the rain and showed up for the wreath laying,” said Don Vtipil, Chesterfield resident and president of Oldies But Goodies Classic Cruizers... Read more
Winter scene

Winter scene

Holiday lights are evident at 12509 Lewis Road. Read more
Fun in the snow

Fun in the snow

Peyton Jones took advantage of ‘Snow Sunday,’ Dec. 9, to have some fun. Read more